Can Men's Hair Loss Be Treated?
Can hair loss and baldness in men be treated? It depends. If your hair loss is as a result of medication, hormonal imbalance, thyroid problems or some underlying cause such as diabetes then your doctor may be able to help.
Medicines may help slow or prevent the development of common baldness. One medicine, minoxidil (Rogaine) applied to the scalp has been shown to help male pattern baldness.
Another medicine, finasteride (Propecia) is available with prescription. It comes in pills and is only for men. It may take up to 6 months before you can tell if one of these medicines is working.
Treatments for male pattern baldness usually only show some limited response.
Hair loss is something most men secretly 'fear' but hope it may never actually occur. After all, thinning hair and baldness is something that kids use to identify the elderly, despite the fact that the process can begin before 20 years of age! A good head of hair is associated with youth, virility and attractiveness, so when hair loss occurs it can come as something of a shock.
Since records began, men have documented their attempts to reverse the process of hair loss and cure baldness. The bible tells the story of how when Samson's hair was cut he lost his strength and power. The unspoken agenda for men is that to be hairless, or for the hair to be depleted, equates with a loss of power and virility, something that is clearly not the case.
Some creative but ultimately fruitless concoctions have been devised in an attempt to get the thatch back.
Cleopatra used a mixture of horse teeth, bear grease, burnt mice and deer marrow in her attempt to cure Julius Caesar's baldness (it didn't work). Hedgehog urine was also thought to be beneficial. The smell in the heat of the Egyptian sun must have been something very special!
Facts About Cures for Baldness
There is currently no cure for baldness. There are some lotions that can help slow down the process but there is no cure for male pattern baldness. There are, however, a number of things that you should consider.
Suggestions for Male Hair Loss
- Shave it all off! Sometimes the best style for a men witch hair loss is going bald. The "bald look" is become very popular now a days with tons of male celebrities and common men. Learn more about Bald Head Care.
- Emphasize your other facial features. Lots of men are using products to improve their looks. There are many products in the department and drug stores that improve your skin. If you have great eyes think about getting your eyelashes dyed. Seek advice from a beautician, health expert or friend.
- Update your clothes style. Good clothes and attention to your appearance can make you look much younger and more attractive. Make the most of what hair you do have. One of the most effective is to get a good hair cut. Short, cropped and styled. Consider having a light perm, it can add volume. Shaving it off completely looks great.
- Get a hair piece. Covering up a bald area can be the answer. Hair pieces now look very realistic. Good ones can be very expensive but last a long time when cared for properly.
- Wear a hat. There are great hats around - from cool to just plain stylish.